EXCEL – INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS & INDUSTRY
Instructor Mr. Chase Wofford
Coppell High School, Career and Technical Dept., The Sidekick newspaper adviser
Office hours: 2:00-2:52 p.m. (sixth period). Before and after school by appointment
ENGAGE – eXPLORE – COMMUNICATE – EMPOWER – LEAD
The EXCEL program exists to bring out the best in each learner through career exploration, professional communication, and leadership development.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Grade 9; Level 2
The purpose of EXCEL B&I is to introduce the learner to the concepts and careers in Business and Industry, as well as to equip each learner with the leadership capacity and professional communications to be successful. The learner will be challenged to evaluate, develop, communicate, and apply principles that will be foundational in their life and career.
*Students will earn professional communications credit
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT CONCEPTS
- Success for CHS – HS Survival 101 & CHS Family
- Study/Time management/Organization Skills
- Healthy habits
- Digital Citizenship & Technology Tips & Tricks
- Team Building & group dynamics
- Vision casting & action
- Values, standards, & principles
- Responsibility & service learning
- Emotional Intelligence
- Myers/Briggs Type Indicator
- Relationships, peer pressure, bullying, self-confidence, and image
PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION CONCEPTS
- Public Speaking
- Professional Communication
- Communication Dynamics
- Presentation Skills
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY CAREER EXPOLORATION CONCEPTS
- Business Management, Principles, and Operations
- The Entrepreneur
- AV/FILM/news media
- Accounting and Finance
- Virtual & Global Business
GRADING CATEGORIES & WEIGHTING
20% Professional Ethics/Responsibility/Collaboration
30% Critical Thinking/Problem-Solving
Bring every class period
- Planner/organizational tool of choice (this can be on your iPad)
PROFESSIONAL ETHICS RESPONSIBILTY & COMMUNICATION (PERC) – 20% of Grade
It is important to develop and practice skills that will lead to success in the workplace. Listed below are five categories of employability skills learners are expected to practice and demonstrate through participation, projects, and professional communication assignments.
Attendance and Punctuality
- Attend class and/or other course related tasks and responsibilities daily.
- Be on time to class and/or other course related tasks and responsibilities.
- Have all required materials needed to accomplish tasks for the class period. This includes textbook, notebook, pen/pencil, paper, etc.
Leadership, Teamwork and Professionalism
- Demonstrate professional manners and integrity through appearance, behavior, and language.
- Display a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
- Articulate and share ideas in a cooperative manner.
- Work effectively with peers, instructor, and other school personnel in mature, respectful, and professional manner.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills – locate, analyze, and apply information.
Time Management and Efficiency
- Complete work without distracting or disrupting others in the class to meet deadlines.
- Refrain from inappropriate Internet use, socializing, completing work for other classes, etc.
Respect for Workplace Environment
- Return materials and books to the proper place, log off your computer, and return chairs and furniture to proper place.
TECHNOLOGY RESPONSIBLE USE
Learners will use technology devices when and how they are directed by Educators
- Classroom Responsible Use Communication System:
- Red- “No Tech”
- No technology needed/used for the lesson (devices put away, focus on Educator instruction)
- Yellow- “Lesson Tech”
- Technology needed for the lesson (only technology resources approved by Educator used to complete lesson/assignment are allowed)
- Green- “CHS Tech”
- CISD approved technology resources may be used to complete other academic work (ex: Learner allowed to use approved technology resources to complete assignments/work for other classes)
- Red- “No Tech”
Cell Phone use: cell phone & technology use is encouraged at appropriate and teacher-designated times using the Green/Yellow/Red CHS Technology acceptable use policy. Inappropriate use of technology may result in a loss of access and/or collection of the device.
- Class Rules: The class rules will be made with everyone’s participation. Learners will be asked to sign a social agreement and acknowledge that they understand the rules and agree to follow them. Learners will consistently be asked these set of questions by the facilitator:
- “What are you doing?”
- (If not on task) “What should you be doing?”
- “Can you do that?”
- “What will happen if you don’t?” (Consequences below)
- Offense One: Verbal Warning and Conference with the Learner
- Offense Two: Parent Contact
- Learner e-mails parent to communicate offense. Script will be provided. Educator will be cc’d.
- Offense Three: Loss of device for the class period
- Offense Four: Office Referral
- Late Work: Learners are expected to turn in assignments on the date that it is due.
(Sign and return to your EXCEL teacher)
By signing below, I am affirming that I have read through the course syllabus and understand the following:
- Grading scale
- Late work policy
- Course overview
- Classroom procedures
Student Signature: ___________________________________ Date: ____________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ____________________________ Date: ____________